I have a clear food memory from my family holidays in Spain as a child…dipping crusty bread into my Dad and Sister’s left over pil pil garlic oil and loving it! This is my vegan version using peas and it definitely tastes just as delicious as my memory tells me it did when I was five. I love cooking peas to the point where they begin to pop out of their shells and becoming crispy on the outside and super creamy inside.
Guest blog from The Vegan Pea
Preparation time: 30 minutes (including cooking time)
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 1 cup diced White Onion
- 3 Red Chillies
- 3 large Garlic Cloves
- 2cm cube Ginger (skin removed)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Peas
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 slices of Bread (gluten free or gluten optional. My gluten free focaccia recipe can be found at “https://theveganpea.com/2015/10/25/pesto-focaccia-bread-gluten-free/”
- Place a pan on high heat and fill with the olive oil and onions and allow this to cook for 4 minutes
- After 4 minutes the onions should be browning and softened, and so add 1 tsp salt and continue to cook on medium heat for a further 2 minutes
- Place the chillies, garlic and ginger in a grinder to form a paste
- Mix the paste into the onions and cook on high heat for 3 minutes
- Add the frozen peas into the pan on high heat and mix through
- Cook the pea mix for a further 10 minutes on high heat, or until the peas begin to crisper slightly
- Serve up the peas with all their delicious juices and oils and then scoop them up with a chunk of bread and your hands…YUM!
- Enjoy my Little Peas!